Paul Ruddock Honoured With Knighthood
The 2012 New Year Honours List recognises outstanding achievement and service across the whole of the United Kingdom
The vast majority of the awards go not to stars of sport, stage and screen but to extraordinary people who are serving their local communities. Most recipients have been recognised for making a real difference to those around them through volunteering, fundraising, social action and philanthropy.
Read more from Directgov New Year Honours List 2012
Philanthropy has also been a prominent theme amongst the recipients with 14 philanthropists receiving awards at knighthood and CBE level. The list includes knighthoods to Paul Ruddock, Chief Executive of Lansdowne Partners, who has contributed to the revival of the Victoria and Albert Museum and other cultural institutions.
Read more from The Cabinet Office New Year’s Honours List 2012
Sir Paul Ruddock was the first Mansfield student to obtain a First Class Honours in Jurisprudence and in 2008 Sir Paul was elected to a Bancroft Fellowship of the College.
Paul Ruddock brought great lustre on Oxford University, from his earliest days as an undergraduate, when he was the first Mansfield student to obtain a First Class Honours in Jurisprudence.
Read the article from Mansfield elects Paul Ruddock to a Bancroft Fellowship
The Bancroft Fellowship, which is named after the late Lord Bancroft, formerly Chairman of Trustees for the College before it was awarded its Royal Charter as a full college of the University, is the most prestigious honour the College can bestow on a generous benefactor.
Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award
The Montblanc Cultural Foundation is proud to announce that Sir Paul Ruddock is the UK recipient of this year’s prestigious Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award, in recognition of his long term and outstanding support and dedication to the arts and education.
Sir Paul Ruddock will receive the award from Chairman of the Montblanc Cultural Foundation, Mr. Lutz Bethge at a ceremony at The Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) on Tuesday 17th June 2014. As the winner of the Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award, he will receive €15,000 that he has chosen to donate to the V&A for a contemporary acquisition. In addition to this, he will be presented with a Limited Edition Patron of the Arts Montblanc fountain pen specially designed and created for the 11 winners of the twenty-third edition of the award. This year, the fountain pen is dedicated to the father of the modern grand piano and philanthropist Henry E. Steinway. The writing instrument’s intricate design is inspired by Steinway’s piano-building program and the Steinway Hall in New York City built to make music accessible to wider audiences.
The Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award was established in 1992 to honour and support patrons of the arts who have made exceptional contributions to artists and their work. Every year, a select group of winners are chosen from a shortlist by an international jury of artists and art influencers. The jury, a sophisticated and passionate network of the art world’s most creative individuals, is brought together by the Montblanc Cultural Foundation to share thoughts and carefully evaluate the candidates in each country before casting their votes. The winning patrons must demonstrate a history of personal commitment to the arts and a concern that the wider public should benefit from cultural projects. Past recipients of the award include HRH The Prince of Wales, Russian maestro Valery Gergiev, American musician Quincy Jones, Italian architect Renzo Piano and Japanese artist Yoko Ono.
“It has always been Montblanc’s belief that the advancement of the arts and cultural enrichment are essential to human society because culture is the foundation of all civilization by facilitating communication, giving us shared values and above all a collective identity,” says Lutz Bethge, Montblanc Cultural Foundation Chairman. “Without the continued commitment of modern-day patrons of art, this advancement would not be possible in this form, so it is our pleasure to recognise and celebrate their personal commitment with this unique award. Over the past 22 years, the award has committed over 3.5 million euros to cultural projects worldwide.”
An active and dedicated philanthropist, Sir Paul Ruddock is closely linked to various charitable institutions, in particular supporting two of London’s iconic museums. He is closely involved with the V&A, for whom he has been Chairman since 2007 and a trustee since 2002. It was here that Sir Paul masterminded one of the largest fundraising initiatives Britain has ever seen, leading as a private donor for a £32m project for the renovation of the Medieval & Renaissance Galleries. Additionally, Sir Paul and Lady Jill Ruddock funded the renovation of the European Medieval Gallery at the British Museum and also opened a second gallery in March 2014, The Sir Paul and Lady Ruddock Gallery of Sutton Hoo and Europe 300-1100, an early medieval collection that includes objects from the Sutton Hoo Ship burial in Suffolk. At King Edwards School he and his wife funded with the school the 450 seat Performing Arts Centre, as well as being active supporters of the Donmar Warehouse Theatre and the Mousetrap Theatre Project. Additionally they support research and conservation at the Metropolitan Museum New York, the Courtauld Institute, the National Trust, The Ethiopian Heritage Fund as well as many other projects. Sir Paul is also a long term supporter and ambassador for Afrikids.
Furthermore, Sir Paul Ruddock is Chairman of Gilbert Trust for the Arts, a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London and a former Trustee of the Samuel Courtauld Trust. He is involved across numerous international art and educational projects; Sir Paul is Trustee of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, serving on the merchandise, acquisitions and external affairs committee and a member of the international Advisory Board of The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, Maryland.
“I have always believed in supporting inspirational institutions and inspirational individuals and am very grateful for this prize, which I will donate to the V&A to fund the purchase of a work of art by a contemporary artist,” says Sir Paul Ruddock.
Performance Awards of Paul Ruddock
- 2014 Financial News FN extra Mile 40 award: Award for Philanthropy
- 2013 Compliance Register Hall of Fame: Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2013 European Hedge Fund Performance Awards: Paul Ruddock – Award for Outstanding Contribution
- 2011 European Performance Awards Winners: Outstanding contribution to the industry awarded to a fund manager
- 2011 Financial News: Best Fund Manager in Long/Short Equities
- 2011 Hedge Funds Review: Paul Ruddock – Award for most outstanding contribution to the Hedge Fund Industry
- 2009 EuroHedge Long Term Performance Award (Equity Strategies) – Lansdowne Global Financials
- 2008 Financial News: Best Operator in Long/Short Equity Single-Manager Hedge Funds – Lansdowne Partners
- 2006 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: UK Equity – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2006 The Compliance Register OStCaR Awards: Best Chief Executive / MD Award – Paul Ruddock, Lansdowne Partners
- 2005 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: UK Equity – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2005 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: Global Equity – Lansdowne Global Financials Fund
- 2005 EuroHedge Management Firm of the Year – Lansdowne Partners
- 2004 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: UK Equity – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2004 The Compliance Register OStCaR Awards: Hall of Fame Achiever of the Year – Lansdowne Partners
Philanthropy Awards of Paul Ruddock
- 2016 Iris Foundation Outstanding Patron award
- 2015 Lifetime Achievement in Philanthropy Award by Spear’s, the London-based wealth management, business and culture magazine
- 2015 ‘Chevalier des Arts et Lettres’ from the French Government
Nominations & Honourable Mentions Of Paul Ruddock
- 2009 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: European Equity – Lansdowne European Equity
- 2009 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: UK Equity – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2009 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: Global Equity – Lansdowne Global Financials Fund
- 2009 EuroHedge Long Term Performance Award – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2009 EuroHedge Fund of the Year – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2009 EuroHedge Management Firm of the Year – Lansdowne Partners
- 2008 EuroHedge Long Term Performance Award – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2007 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: UK Equity – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2007 EuroHedge Fund of the Year: Global Equity (specialist sectors) – Lansdowne Global Financials
- 2007 EuroHedge Fund of the Year – Lansdowne UK Equity Fund
- 2007 EuroHedge Management Firm of the Year – Lansdowne Partners
- 2006 EuroHedge Management Firm of the Year – Lansdowne Partners
- 2004 EuroHedge Management Firm of the Year – Lansdowne Partners
- 2001 EuroHedge New Fund of the Year: Long/Short Equity Equity Fund